Friday, March 9, 2012

"Snow Covered Rocks"

This is some winter in the Adirondacks.  Hardly any snow, but when it comes, it comes in a foot at a time.  I took a photo off the main road a month ago of these rocks, finally covered in snow.  I was intrigued by the colors of the rocks, all bluish and purple against the white of the snow.  Of course, when you really look at the snow, you see that it's not all white, but a reflection of all the colors around it, including the shadows.  I love painting snow.  An instructor once told us that observing is the most important part of an artists life and a relative said to me that she's always painting....in her head first and foremost.

Pastel - 12x20

2 comments:

Dewberry Fine Art said...

What a beauty Joann. Love the movement and the wonderful reflected whites and lights against the trees and ground.

Joann said...

Thanks, Dori. I so appreciate your comments. I'm always second guessing my pastels. I'm working on one now I just might throw out, I'm so disgusted with it! Well, maybe just put away and try again at some other time......