Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Girl in a Turban

In Albuquerque at the IAPS convention this past June, a beautiful girl was sitting in the grass at the Hotel as we returned from Old Town.  It was such a hot day, almost 90 degrees and she looked so spotless and cool, underneath that gorgeous turban.  I asked if she would mind if I took her picture and a few of us artists started photographing her.  I planned to paint her asap, but, of course, that didn't happen.

 14x11 - Pastel

Was going through my stash of pastel papers and found some velour.  I think I used it once and wasn't happy with the results.  Asked an artist friend how she applies pastel to velour, and then got that photo out and started this painting.  I've been working on it for a few days.  It takes applying hard and medium pastels and I tried building up some layers so that I wouldn't loose the pastel on the surface, which happened to me the only time I tried this paper.  I think this worked and I'm very satisfied with the results.

No comments: